Your Guide to this Popular Trend from Beauty Institute Canada
If you’ve ever dreamt of waking up with long, luscious lashes that didn’t require a heavy application of mascara, it may be time to consider getting eyelash extensions. With regards to eyelash extensions, we aren’t talking about regular falsies. Rather, this type of lash application can last for weeks, making it an extremely attractive option for those who are striving for a more low maintenance beauty routine. While this trend has become popular in recent years, you still may be wondering about the overall process. Before you schedule your appointment, it’s important to familiarize yourself with the fine details so you can be sure you’re getting the most out of your new lashes.
What You Need to Know about Eyelash Extensions
There are a few things to keep in mind prior to getting eyelash extensions, and for a beginner, it may not always be clear what to look out for. If you’ve been thinking about enhancing your lashes, here is everything you need to know before you make the leap:
- Prep for Your Appointment: Make sure to arrive at your salon with a completely bare face. This includes avoiding waterproof mascara and eye makeup for a week prior to your appointment as these products can leave behind an invisible film that may prevent the extensions from fully adhering. Also, avoid curling your natural lashes as this creates a crease at the base of your lashes which will make it challenging for your lash artist to apply the extensions accurately. Be sure to clear your schedule for the appointment as an initial application can take anywhere up to two hours to complete.
- Eyelash Material Options: During an eyelash consultation, your lash artist will help you determine what material to choose as well as how many of these lashes should be applied. The most common types of lash material are silk and faux mink. Silk lashes tend to give off more shine and pop, whereas faux mink lashes are best if you are opting for a more ethereal look. Regardless of what material you choose, an experienced lash artist should always vary the lengths of individual lashes to create a more natural vibe.
- Application Process: The application process for eyelash extensions is far more meticulous than gluing a strip of falsies to your lash line. Lash artists will glue individual extensions on top of your existing lashes until you are both satisfied with the results. Since lash extensions do not come in strips, they are easier to customize to suit your eye shape, desired length and lifestyle giving you the most natural looking appearance.
- Care Routine: Following your appointment, do not get your lashes wet for at least 24 hours as the adhesive needs to completely dry. Also, you may need to tweak your normal beauty routine if you use oily products, as the oils may interfere with the adhesive. When it’s time to wash your face, try not to splash water directly around your eyes. Instead, use a cotton swab dipped in a mixture of distilled water and baby shampoo to wipe away any impurities. We also recommend gently brushing your lashes everyday with a soft, clean spoolie. While your lash extensions may take some time getting used to, they are completely worth it and will serve you well with the right care.
- Find a Reputable Salon: While there is not enough evidence to suggest that eyelash extensions damage your natural lashes, there is a small chance you may develop traction alopecia. This condition, caused by the constant weight of repeated applications, can result in your natural lashes falling out. However, it usually takes years of bad lash applications and improper care to result in this condition. That’s why it’s important to do your research and find a reputable salon to perform your eyelash extension. Before sitting down in the chair, make sure your technician follows proper hand washing procedures, uses sterilized equipment and wears a mask.
At Beauty Institute Canada, we are passionate about helping aspiring health and beauty providers perfect their skills by offering a wide-range of diploma, certificate and workshop programs. These programs are uniquely designed to provide the necessary training needed for you to succeed in future high-profile positions. If you are interested in adding onto your existing skills, our Non-Vocational Certificate courses may be right for you. From eyelash extension to special effects makeup courses, our industry-leading instructors will guide students through both classroom theory and hands-on applications with real clients in order to ensure a well-rounded education. If you want to turn your talents into a full-time profession, contact us today to learn more about how to get started.
Call our Canadian beauty school in Toronto at 905-674-0100 to learn more about our beauty, skincare and makeup workshops, certificate courses or diploma programs today. You can also contact us online or book a school tour to explore our facilities and learn more about our other programs and application process.